DD poker not working

swage
AS of today, I can no longer play DD poker.  It downloads, starts and then instantly closes.  From another post, it seems that Java is the problem.  Someone indicated how to fix but it entailed reinstalling a variety of things which is beyond me.  I hope a NEW VERSION appears to deal with Java.

Re: DD poker not working

Panhandle
Ditto: DD Poker No Longer Working

Startup Logo flashes up quickly and disappears - DD Poker no longer loads- as of 2 days ago
Have MAC Version 10.6.8  and Java 1.6
Any help would be appreciated

Re: DD poker not working

jpriv
MY FIX:

I ended up reinstalling OS X 10.8 and then installing the 10.8.5 Combo Update (I keep disc images of each system install and combo updates).  That got me back to the proper (older) version of Java 6 that works with DD Poker 3:

java version "1.6.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_51-b11-457-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.51-b01-457, mixed mode)

In Terminal (Applications>Utilities), type "java -version" and you'll see the version you're running.

If you're still using 10.6.x (Snow Leopard) or 10.7.x (Lion), I suspect that reinstalling back to the base versions of those systems and then installing the last Combo Update should do the trick, minding not to install any update to Java that the Apple Software Update wants you to do.

Hope this helps others…

AND DON'T UPGRADE TO MAVERICKS, FOR NOW !!!

Re: DD poker not working

Stew Hunger
Looks like trying to install DDpoker on Win 8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Mavericks

Re: DD poker not working

beninato
I just noticed the same issue on DD Poker Mac, and I seem to recall an auto-update of Java happening recently. I get the same behavior...splash screen comes up and instantly closes. Any fixes that don't require an OS reinstall?

Re: DD poker not working

jpriv
I tried manually uninstalling Java and reinstalling the proper version, but it did not work.  That's why I went with a system reinstall.

It's sounds daunting, but believe me, it is very simple.  It may take about 45 minutes or so.  It does NOT wipe out any data files or preferences.  It simply reinstalls the system and leaves all your other files and data intact.

I am an independent Macintosh consultant and must resort to doing this for client's Macs for various reasons occasionally, so I speak from experience.

I did this on my personal MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8.5.  This is my main computer and I did it without hesitation, but I do have a complete and constant backup using an Apple Time Capsule with the built-in Time Machine software.  So, even if something catastrophic were to happen, I would be able to recover all my data.

I do not recommend doing this if your computer is not backed up via Time Machine.

I would be glad to give you specific instructions on how to do this if you tell me your current system version...

Re: DD poker not working

beninato
jpriv, I appreciate the offer, but I don't want to do a reinstall. It looks like this problem will only accelerate as people auto-update Java and switch to Mavericks. I exchanged emails with Doug and he said they would take a look. It's hard for the developer with freeware like this. Maybe a bunch of us who have this problem should donate $20 each to help fund the fix. I'm guessing more and more people will see this soon. Any takers who pledge to donate after a fix?

Re: DD poker not working

Donohoe Digital
Administrator
The latest Mac Java update has broken DD Poker.  I hope to find time to look for a fix, but work has me swamped.  Sorry for the trouble.

Re: DD poker not working

dmdiamond
Absolutely will send $20 after the fix!!!!  It's been a great poker program and I expect it will be again.

Re: DD poker not working

beninato
Doug any news on this? I run a weekly game and have been using an iPhone timer to keep track. I don't want to switch to something else, but might need to if you don't think you'll be able to fix soon. I completely understand this is not your top priority, but just hoping for some visibility if possible.

Thanks!

Joe

Re: DD poker not working

jpriv
Doug, I would be glad to send you an external USB hard drive with clean installs of Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion) and Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks) with all the latest updates (including Java) on separate partitions.

You can boot up from these systems, program, and test.

I actually maintain a drive with multiple partitions / systems going back to Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

Please let me know and I will gladly create a drive for you and send it...

Re: DD poker not working

DDPoker930
After a Software update of Java a few months ago, DD Poker no longer worked for me either.
I was running OS X 10.6.8.  The Java that broke it was Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 17.

I just upgraded to OS X 10.8 and then combo updated (with some other software, NOT JAVA) to 10.8.5.
When I tried to launch DD Poker, got a message saying "You need a Java Runtime Environment, Download?" dialog box, so clicked "Download."  It seemed to download via Software update, and
downloaded: Java for OS X 2013-005 v.1.0 (I think).

And DD Poker still didn't work! Just got the DD Poker Splash screen for a few milliseconds.

I went to Java.com and downloaded Java v7 update 45, thinking maybe Apple disabled some functionality that DD Poker needed in the version they give us via SW Update.

DD Poker still doesn't work. Though now Java shows up in my System Preferences.

My version:
[Macintosh-10:/Library/Internet Plug-Ins] dc% java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

The version/SE RE are the same as the other poster... HotSpot different...

From Software Update / Software / Installations, I have 5 versions on Java:
  Java 7 Update 45               <-----  this one I downloaded from Java
  Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 15
  Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 16
  Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 17               <-----   This one (v.17) broke DD Poker
  Java for OS X 2013-005                <-----   this one just downloaded via SW Update

The jdk I have in /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines is 1.6.0.jdk
[Macintosh-10:/System/Library/Java] dc% cd JavaVirtualMachines/
[Macintosh-10:Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines] dc% ll
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  102 Oct 11 03:13 1.6.0.jdk
[Macintosh-10:Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines] dc% pwd
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines

I looked at the Console when I tried to launch DD Poker, and get these messages:
  8:20:00 PM JavaApplicationStub: Unrecognized Java VM option ignored: -client
  8:20:01 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x56e56e].com.donohoedigital.poker[12631])

So maybe that "-client" option is a clue?

Re: DD poker not working

DDPoker930
Sorry, the Java version I'm running (1.6.0_65) is NOT the same as the other poster (1.6.0_51). NOR is the SE Runtime Environment.

It was this update that "broke" DD Poker for me: Java for Mac OS X v10.6 Update 17
More info on this update:   http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5946

Anyone know where I can get  Java for Mac OS X v10.6 Update 16? (last compatible version)
Looks like Apple only supplies the latest version.

Maybe I have a copy on my Mac somewhere? (after SW Update? Or does it erase the install file?)

Re: DD poker not working

All_In_C
Mine is not working either.  Very bummed

java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

Re: DD poker not working

beninato
Doug, it looks like this isn't going to get fixed. True? I just want to know so I can go elsewhere. Thanks.

Re: DD poker not working

Sly_Fox
Check out this latest info from DDPoker:

RE Mac computers.......... Hopefully a fix will be coming soon.

http://dd-poker.3675753.n2.nabble.com/DD-Poker-on-Mac-10-9-2-Mavericks-td7578286.html
Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion. Today is special.

Re: DD poker not working

Donohoe Digital
Administrator