Thought it was the internet, was wrong.

PA Coyote
I play DD on my laptop, host DD on a desktop with more horsepower. The laptop has been acting up, but only when playing DDpoker, not at work, not when checking emails using Outlook. I thought it was the internet and chatted that while playing last night. The disco's really started to get to me last night and I started ignoring the game more and more. What caught my eye was that I saw my network switch (same kind you have in your routers and modems) dumping the connection a split second before DD froze. The laptop was slow to show it.

The hardware is exactly the same that I used in PA since I moved 4 years ago. So something changed. I changed out the Ethernet cable (cat 5). My laptop plugs right into the Netgear switch.  No change. Changed switch ports, no change. My connection in the laptop was set at auto, synchronizing at 1 gig. The Netgear switch is a gigabyte switch and is working fine for all other devices including 1 gig devices. The only change on this laptop was Windows updates, and Bitdefender updates. I updated the driver on the laptop, no good. I forced the laptop to connect at 100 full. Problem solved. I kind of think that rules out Bitdefender.

Anyone else have disco issues, give it a try and let me know. I am thinking a Windows 7 update caused this since I have no hardware failures and it only happens when playing DD Poker. I noticed RK bouncing last night too.
Thanks,
Coyote

Re: Thought it was the internet, was wrong.

Stew Hunger
My problems with discos playing DD poker were at the junction box where the cable
comes in from the street and attaches to the house ..bad connections.
It happened for years before it was figured out.

Re: Thought it was the internet, was wrong.

hagan
Coyote, you mentioned this BitDefender before. Is that some type of virus software? Please tell me more.

Re: Thought it was the internet, was wrong.

PA Coyote
Yes Hagan, BitDefender is a product I have been using for years now. I had to drop Norton, McAfee, others due to poor performance or results. So far so good, 3rd year. It is a antivirus / internet suite product that takes the guess work out of setting up on your system. By the way, I did disable it while testing the discos the other night just to be sure.